This course builds skills for those who already have a basic level of understanding around self-harm.
- A brief recap of what self-harm is.
- A brief recap of the myths around self-harm.
- An exploration of why self-harm can occur.
- How to identify self-harm.
- How to respond safely and sensitively.
- What support can we offer to someone who self-harms?
- Self-harm and you.
- The whys and hows of Self-care.
Participants will learn through:
- Mini lectures
- Group discussion
- Case study
Following the course
Participants will have:
- A thorough understanding of self-harm and the different underlying meanings it can have for each individual
- A greater realisation of what can contribute to self harm
- What to look out for
- How to sensitively respond and react
- The support that can be provided.
Participants will also come away having examined their own self-harm behaviours, contributing again to the deep, complicated nature of self-harm, and consider how they can use this understanding to better the support they offer others.
Further information, pricing & availability
Please contact us to discuss how our training can best help you and to find out more about this and other courses.
Testimonials & feedback
Really insightful, and different to other workshops I’ve been to about self-harm that just usually talk about self-harm as a coping strategy. I feel like I’ve got lot’s of additional tools to help me help the young people we support.Self Harm Alert participant
Feel more confident and aware of what self-harm can mean for someone and the importance of understanding this before suggesting alternatives.Self Harm Alert participant
3 hours well spent. Alice was clear, concise and thorough in a sensitive way. I would like to attend the ASIST workshop now after understanding why we should also ask about suicide.Self Harm Alert participant